Monday, April 23, 2012

Prostějov


Ostrava
 Hello folks!

Last Sunday after Prague I went to Prostějov in Czech. It is a smaller town around 3 hours from Prague. My Italian friend is living there and I spent 5 days at her place. I liked Prostějov a lot. It was a small town and everything was in walking distance (and bus costed 9 CZK if we were lazy).

My friend works at a local school and I went to work with her a couple of times. I visited English, Czech and Italian lessons there. I thought the children were really nice and at least in the Italian class they were also really good at languages. All the teachers I met there spoke English and it was nice to talk with them. 



Ostrava
My friend is working there through EVS - European Voluntary Service. This is like Erasmus but with workplaces. The people at her school explained it to me a bit more and if I have a chance in the future I would like to try it. You can also choose a destination from a country with a language that you don't speak and you'll get language courses. The roommate of my friend didn't speak any Czech and he was still working in the same school as my friend. I would like to do the same: choose a country where I can learn a new language. If you are interested about this you should look it up, the name of the program is a link to the site.


Within the 5 days I was in Prostějov I recovered form flue and after that I visited Ostrava. Ostrava is a city really close to Slovakia. I have a friend in Ostrava and it was really nice to see him too :) but I wasn't in Ostrava just to see him: I was there to buy rats for my friend. We tried to buy them from Prostějov too but every petstore in town was out of rats so I volunteered to go to a bigger city to get them. The two rats I bought (Alexandra and Anastasia) were the first pets my friend ever had so she was pretty happy that I was there to show her how to take care of them.


A local train in Czech
I have to say that Czech local trains are just.. horrible. Also smaller railwaystations there are awful for foreigners. All the announcements were only in Czech and they didn't have any platforms at the station! It was really awfull to try and find a correct platfrom when there were only railway tracks without any numbers or signs. Also there were many trains leaving at the same time and no one spoke English. I went to each train and asked someone if they go to my destination. I can't recommend this to anyone if they don't speak Czech but it was still manageable :) Now I have to brag that I bought the tickets in Czech from the station.


Traveling by train in Czech was pretty cheap. They count the price from the amount of kilometers so the prices are fixed for everyone.




 For my last day in Prostějov the school were my friend worked asked me to go with them on a classtrip to see Adršpašské and Teplické rocks and caves (don't worry I don't know how to pronounce them either). The school payed for this. Thank you! Also this day what the last day of school and the students of the shcool celebrated by dressing up, making nose and drawing stuff on faces of innocent bystanders. The costumes were pretty amazing. The students were also throwing water, vinegar and ugly parfumes on people and my friend got her share of vinegar. I survived with getting only a heart drawn on my cheek.





The caves were really amazing! Of course the tunnels made in them were artificial but all the naturally formed things were awsome. The guide spoke only in Czech but I had one of the teachers translating for me. If you ever have a chance go and take a look.

Then three days ago I took a train from Prostějov to Dresden to visit another friend. I really like it here! The day after tomorrow I'm leaving for Paris and on Thursday I'll go to Barcelona for 5 days :) I'm looking forward to that especially because my cousin is coming with me! After Barcelona I continue my studies again in Paris.

See you later! Bizous!

Alexandra and Anastasia :)







1 comment:

  1. Absolutely stunning! Thank you for publishing these pictures and the great reading. What beautiful places are in the world!!! Would love to visit Prague...

    ReplyDelete